Commercial Water Damage 411
Commercial Water Damage Response
When we talk to local Las Vegas business owners, property managers or facility directors regarding potential water damage events, they often visualize a massive storm wiping out power lines, flooding offices, and shutting down businesses for days at a time. It is true that commercial water damage is often the result of floods and water that stems from weather events and storms, although living in sunny Las Vegas; hurricane-like storms are few and far between.
However, many entrepreneurs and business space renters forget that storms and severe weather aren't the only causes of floods and water damage. Commercial water damage is surprisingly common year-round, and it can drastically affect the operation of your business. Here are some of the typical causes of water damage to commercial buildings.
1. Malfunctioning sprinkler systems
They go off all the time! Some older office and retail buildings still have outdated sprinkler systems that work in conjunction with fire protection systems. While such sprinklers can come in handy during a fire emergency, they can also cause commercial flood damage if they are faulty or in need of replacement. This could easily damage inventory and business assets.
2. Damaged appliances and equipment
This cause of commercial flood damage is more common in restaurants and catering facilities, as well as any business that has appliances and equipment that make use of water. If the appliance fails and sends water across your building, especially during late hours when no one is around, you may come back to work and face a water emergency.
3. Broken pipes and plumbing
Just like in a residence, if the plumbing system in your workplace fails water damage could be the result. If you question the stoutness of your building's
pipes, contact SERVPRO for a thorough inspection and assessment.
4. Backed up sewer lines
This is the most common for us and another cause of commercial water damage that often catches business owners by surprise. Should the sewer line to your building back up or become damaged, realize the potential dangers of contaminated Black Water which can cause health effects and ruin products and office furnishings. SERVPRO has certified IICRC technicians to deal with this type of water damage.
Never a convenient time
for flooding or water damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, call a company that will respond fast with the help you need.
Disaster Ready Plan
By developing a Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
If your business has suffered commercial water damage, or you would like a Emergency Ready Profile, SERVPRO of East Las Vegas will get you that plan of action and get you back up and running again. Call us anytime 24/7 at (702) 785-0100 for fast help.
11 Years In The Las Vegas Community
Las Vegas, NV (Grassroots Newswire) 05.22.2014 -- SERVPRO® of East Las Vegas, a premier cleanup and restoration company, is recognizing its 11 year anniversary in the local business community.
"It’s exciting to be a part of the local community and celebrate this milestone with them. We take pride in being able to offer customers professional cleanup and restoration services,” said James Wilson, owner of SERVPRO® of East Las Vegas in Las Vegas, NV. “We look forward to continuing our service in the Las Vegas area.”
Wilson has been in business since May 2005.
"SERVPRO® is dedicated to the growth and development of the people and our Franchise locations. This milestone is a tribute to the hard work and effort of everyone at SERVPRO® of East Las Vegas. We are proud of them for reaching this accomplishment," said Rick Isaacson, executive vice president of SERVPRO Industries, Inc.
SERVPRO® clients include insurance companies seeking superior and timely restoration services, as well as commercial and residential property owners who require routine cleaning services. With more than 40 years of experience, the SERVPRO® System’s time-tested techniques and proprietary cleaning products have earned SERVPRO® Franchises a spot as a national leader in the restoration and cleaning industry.
SERVPRO® of East Las Vegas provides cleanup and restoration services following a fire, water or even mold-related damage. Additional services offered include: cleaning and restoration of specialty services, such as HVAC duct systems; building exteriors; electronic equipment, including computers, and documents that have sustained water damage.
For more information on SERVPRO® of East Las Vegas, please contact our team at (702)785-0100.
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO® Franchise System is a national leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services and mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO's professional services network of more than 1,600 individually owned and operated Franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar large-loss situations. Providing coverage in the United States and Canada, the SERVPRO® System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.
Wood Floor Drying Restoration
Floor Drying Equipment
When hardwood flooring gets wet during a water damage it can cause serious problems. Even if the water is cleaned up from the surface immediately, the water may have already penetrated the flooring. Water travels under the floor boards which causes them to swell and buckle. It usually takes around 48 hours for signs of visible damage and in most cases this damage is irreversible which means the floor will require replacement.
That’s where SERVPRO of East Las Vegas comes in. We have specialized floor drying equipment specifically for this problem. It’s called a “Trapped Moisture Ventilation System” or hardwood floor drying system. The system works by placing plastic mats on the wet flooring and using suction to draw out the moisture. The drying process typically takes 3 days to return the moisture content of the floor to normal and in most cases, re-finishing is not required!
When it comes to wet hardwood flooring, time is of the essence. The sooner the drying process begins the better the end result. With 24 hour emergency service we can be on-site within 4 hours to begin the drying process.
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Hurricane Season is Here
What to Do After a Hurricane Strikes
Lucky in Las Vegas we don't need to worry about hurricanes. But having to respond to disaster when hurricane hits we’ve learned a thing or two. Here are some tips that will be helpful..
Assemble disaster supplies. You’re going to need supplies not just to get through the storm but for the potentially lengthy and unpleasant aftermath. Have enough non-perishable food, water and medicine to last each person in your family a minimum of one week. Electricity and water could be out for at least that long. You’ll need extra cash, a battery-powered radio and flashlights. Many of us have cell phones, and they all run on batteries. You’re going to need a portable, crank or solar powered USB charger. Get some cash! Banks will most likely be down as well as ATM machines.
Photograph and Document Damage: Document the damage thoroughly with photos, as it will make the insurance claims process much easier.
Conduct Emergency Repairs: Do only what's necessary to prevent further damage after a storm, such as covering broken windows with plastic or roofs with tarps to keep rain out. Don't make or commission permanent repairs until an insurance adjuster reviews the damage. While it may be tempting to start cleaning up and throwing out damaged items after the storm, your insurance adjuster needs to see what happened firsthand to make you the best offer to settle your claim.
File a Claim ASAP: Insurance companies sometimes work on a first-come, first-served basis; so it's in your best interest to file an insurance claim as soon as possible. When you contact your provider, let them know the extent of the water damages and that you have an inventory of your possessions. An insurance adjuster will come to your property, assess the damage, and determine the size of your payout.
Secure Safe Lodging: If you home is uninhabitable, you'll need to find your family a safe place to stay while your home is being repaired. The loss of use coverage in a standard homeowner insurance policy typically helps pay for your family's lodging as long as the damage is part of a covered claim. Check your policy or ask your agent to make sure you have this coverage and to determine its monetary value and time limits.
The time to prepare for a hurricane is before the season begins, when you have the time and are not under pressure. If you wait until a hurricane is on your doorstep, the odds are that you will be under duress and will make the wrong decisions. Take the time now to write down your hurricane plan.Being prepared, before a hurricane threatens, makes you resilient to the hurricane impacts of wind and water. It will mean the difference between your being a hurricane victim and a hurricane survivor.
For more information and the full plan visit:
Tips Dealing With That Pesky Water Leak
Water Leak Pipe
Lets face it, Water Leaks Happens in Las Vegas!
Finding a water leak in your home might be a daunting task without proper tools and equipment. However, water leak detection is achievable in a variety of ways. If you find that you are using more water than you expected on receiving the water bill, you might want to check to make certain there isn't any water leaks on the property.
A water leak is likely to occur in many areas of the property like pool filters, sprinkler systems, faucets, and toilets. Locating a leak is often a quite difficult process if it isn't in the more obvious areas, so if you are experiencing difficulties in detecting a leak, you might want to rely on the services of a leak detection expert.
Here are some of the main areas to check for water leaks:
- Toilet: One of the most common areas for a leak to be detected relates to the toilet. If you believe that you experiencing a leaky toilet, you might want to attempt a basic test of putting one or two drops of food dye into the tank and wait approximately five minutes. If, after that time, the dye is noticed in the toilet bowl, then it is likely there is an issue with a leaky flapper. A further sign of a leaky toilet is the sound of constant running water.
- Faucets: Inspecting the faucets for signs of leaks is a relatively straightforward process. Check in the kitchen and bathroom for wet areas under the sinks. If you detect wet spots, then it is a certain indication that there is a leak which should be repaired as soon as possible to avoid causing damage to the local area.
- Home Exterior: Searching for signs of water leaks outside the home is often a difficult process. One area that is often found to be the course of wasting water is a sprinkler system. A sprinkler head has the tendency to break after prolonged use and can result in an excessive water leak. Updating the sprinkler head or the entire system will likely resolve the issue.
- Swimming Pools: Another common source for water leakage relates to the swimming pool. A malfunctioning filter system is certain to cause a significant leak. If issues are detected with the swimming pool it is likely to be more beneficial to use the service of a professional and not attempt self repairs.
It is very important to give immediate attention to water leaks in your home because it may cost you higher than usual water bills and may cause damage to your property. Early detection of the problem can prevent heavy burden to your pocket book and can save the health of your family. Water leaks can result to several problems if not fixed at the soonest time. To help you out in detecting leaks at your home here are some tips:
- Once you have noticed that there is water leaking within the pipes, the faucets, the roof,or to the toilet, act immediately to fix the issue. Ignoring a leak can give much trouble in the future or even threaten your safety. Keep in mind that water within the walls can weaken the structure and cause collapse. Stagnant water can invite build up of molds which can bring health hazard and or allergic reactions. Think safety and apply necessary repairs before these things happen.
- The faucets are commonly the main source of water leaks in every house. Every drop from the leaks will add up on your water bill. If there is one gallon of water wasted a day, that 365 gallons are wasted each year. This figure will vary depending upon the size of the damage on the faucet, so the larger the leak, the larger the cost.
Locating the source of the leaks:
- First turn off all appliances that use water (washing machines, showers,etc.) After you are done turning off appliances, then proceed to the location of the meter box and lift up the cover. Watch the meter carefully, especially the leak indicator(it is usually a triangular red or black round disc). If the indicator is spinning, it is a sign of a leak. If there is no leak indicator in the meter box, just take note of the position of the hand and after 10 minutes check if the pointer has moved. The movement of the pointer will tell you if you have a leak in the water system. If you have observed movement on the pointer, it means there is a leak you will need to repair.
Immediate repair should be done on every leak you discover. If you don't have the proper tools, then hire a plumber to the job for you. A water damage restoration expert can also help you with recommendations to fix the problem leaks and dry your structure properly. This will cost you to pay for the services but will save you much by preventing further water damage to your property. Check with your insurance carrier to see if some of the damage caused by water leaks in your home might be a covered loss.
If you need help detecting a water leak, slab leak or moisture coming from inside your walls, floors or ceilings, give us a Call at (702)785-0100.
Our leak detection inspections are always free when hiring SERVPRO of East Las Vegas to dry your structure.
10 tips for Las Vegas flash floods
Flood Las Vegas
Flooding is the process by which normally dry land becomes inundated with water from rivers, lakes, oceans and streams. Flooding occurs near rivers, coastal areas with overly saturated soil.
Flooding can create a range of issues including damage to personal property, buildings, bridges, and roads. One should expect service disruptions, managing injuries and potential death.
Due to the spontaneous nature of flooding, your best protection is preparation.
Here are some flood tips to consider:
1. Be aware floods can happen any time. While flash flood season runs from July 1 through September in Southern Nevada, floods can occur without warning.
2. Get out of the pool. Before the flood, thunderstorms can bring lightning, high winds, hail and heavy rains. Get out of swimming pools, Lake Mead or any other body of water, because lightning can travel more than 10 miles in clear air and water attracts the electrical current.
3. Get off the golf course. If a thunderstorm occurs, get off golf courses and stay away from trees or power poles to avoid being struck by lightning. If you are caught in the open, crouch on your feet as low to the ground as possible, making you a smaller target for lightning strikes.
4. Know the terminology. A flash flood watch means that a flood is possible in your area. A flash flood warning means that a flood is already occurring or will occur within moments. The National Weather Service declares both watches and warnings.
5. If driving, stay in the car. If you are driving through a major storm, consider pulling over to higher ground than the street and waiting out the storm in your car or vehicle. Intense storms in Southern Nevada are usually over in a couple hours.
6. Never drive through a flooded street or road or around barricades. Roads underneath may be damaged and impassable. Use extra caution at night.
7. Don't walk through rushing water. If you car stalls in floodwaters, it might be safer to stay with the vehicle. Floodwaters can move at 30 mph and if they are only inches deep can sweep you off your feet and result in drowning. Also, debris swept along with the floodwaters can knock you down.
8. Don't try to drive through a flooded street. Most flood-related deaths are caused by people attempting to drive through moving water. Floodwaters can sweep away cars for miles. Larger trucks and SUVs may be more likely to float because large, air-filled tires increase the tendency of the vehicles to float or tip over in the swift water flows.
9. Don't let children or pets play in or near floodwaters. Floodwaters, in addition to moving up to 30 mph, are filled with hazardous materials such as chemicals, oil and bacteria. Stay out of flood channels and detention basins, which can rise as quickly as one foot per minute.
10. Stay out of standing water. The dirty water can disguise hazards below the surface, such as deep holes, dangerous debris and be filled with bacteria.
During a flood watch or warning, more information is available at the Regional Flood Control District's Web site: www.regionalflood.org.
Remember your safety and the safety of those around you depends on you knowing where to go and how to reach higher ground on foot.
SERVPRO of East Las Vegas and Northeast Las Vegas specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after flooding. Call us today! 702-785-0100
In the aftermath of disaster, some of your most valued contents—documents, photographs, and books—could be lost forever. As a leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO of East Las Vegas knows that timely mitigation is the key to recovering damaged possessions. With years of experience and state-of-the-art technology, SERVPRO’s restoration professionals will help you recover your paper goods before it is too late.
Our Document Restoration Facility:
- Innovative: we use the latest vacuum freeze-drying method, as well as gamma irradiation technology for sterilizing
- Secure: managed by HIPPA Master-certified technicians, under 24/7 surveillance
- Digital: we use a computerized inventory system for digitizing your documents
- Flexible capacity - we can accommodate large commercial losses or small residential jobs
- Full Service: we offer a range of services including drying, cleaning/disinfecting, re-jacketing, digitizing, and deodorization
Need your valuable documents restored? Call Today - 702-785-0100
Then SERVPRO document restoration Las Vegas team uses innovate vacuum freeze-drying techniques; in fact, we use the same freeze-drying methods used by the Library of Congress to dry valuable historic documents and books. Our vacuum freeze-drying process is the only method approved by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and the General Services Administration (GSA).
Types of content:
- paper documents
- books and magazines
- manuscripts and files
- photographs, films, negatives, and microfiche
- blueprints and maps
Document Cleaning and Disinfecting
In many water damage situations, like sewage or flood water, documents will be exposed to bacteria, viruses, pesticides, or other harmful chemicals. Our team uses a gamma irradiation process to safely and effectively sterilize your documents.
In the digital age, converting your paper files and photos to digital formats can have an invaluable impact on your business or home. With the help of SERVPRO’s restoration professionals to digitize your documents, you can save storage space and have access to your records at the touch of a button. And perhaps most important of all, you’ll have digital copies of your valuable documents that can’t be lost in a flood or fire.
Why Choose SERVPRO of East Las Vegas?
SERVPRO will get the job done right. For document restoration backed by state-of-the-art equipment, over 40 years of experience and Professionals trained to the highest standards, call us today. Our Professional staff is here to help and ready to serve you.
Call Today - 702-785-0100
5 Simple Tips To Remove Toxic Mold Safely
Mold Damage Las Vegas Property
Understanding the basic concepts of mold remediation and mold removal is not difficult and is essential if you want to hire the right professional at the best price and highest quality. While learning and understanding the basic concepts of mold remediation and mold removal is easy, doing the actual work in the proper way as described below can however be a challenge
Here is Mold Remediation and Mold Removal explained in plain English.
If you already see mold, you usually do NOT need to spend money on pretesting as we discuss here: Mold Inspections and Mold Testing. Plain and simple: You need to remove it.
These are the five basic principles of all successful mold removal and mold remediation projects:
- Safety – Protect all workers and occupants.
- Assessment – Make a preliminary assessment, an assessment during mold remediation and an assessment after mold remediation.
- Contamination Control – Prevent cross-contamination and the spread of mold from contaminated areas to areas absent of or with less contamination.
- Source Removal – Physically remove the mold at its source.
- Moisture Removal – Eliminate the moisture problem that caused the mold outbreak.
No need to take a wrecking ball to the entire house at the sight of a little mold. Focus your mold removal and mold remediation efforts on the area where the water and mold growth is occurring by removing the mold at its source (e.g. on the drywall) and eliminating the water source.
Any mold professional should be able to explain Mold Remediation in plain English. If a contractor is unable to explain the basic processes and steps of mold remediation and mold removal in layman’s terms, be very wary! If someone tries to complicate and confuse you about the process and scare you into hiring them, walk away and say, “Thanks, but no thanks.” There are good honest mold removal and mold remediation companies out there as long as you are careful, educate yourself about mold remediation, and get multiple estimates.
Proper safety gear should be worn when dealing with mold. A high quality, high filtration face mask is a must, as are vinyl or neoprene gloves. A full protective suit is recommended when using harsh chemicals and for larger mold remediation projects.
Mold professionals seal off the work area, usually using plastic sheeting, so that mold spores do not become dispersed throughout the home.
The spread of mold contamination should be controlled as close as possible to its source.
Mold professionals use “negative air” containment, which is created by positioning blower fans and using air pressure machines to bring clean air into the contaminated space and push contaminated air outside the home.
Mold professionals usually discard moldy porous building materials such as drywall, insulation and baseboards. These materials are relatively inexpensive to replace and difficult to impossible to restore to their previous uncontaminated condition.
Most mold professionals use some sort of antimicrobial chemical to actually clean the mold and mold stains.
Mold professionals often use a sealer or encapsulant to make the treated areas more resistant to water damage and mold, and also to help with odor control.
Sometimes it is necessary to have your HVAC air ducts professionally cleaned since air ducts can collect dust and mold spores. For more information about duct cleaning, please refer to the EPA Publication ”Should You Have The Air Ducts In Your Home Cleaned?”
If you suspect that you toxic mold that is making your building sick, call the professionals at SERVPRO of East Las Vegas (702) 785-0100. Estimates are free and you can always count on our professional mold removal services in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV
Why Mold Damage in Las Vegas area Homes May Be Hazardous
SERVPRO East Las Vegas Can Safely Remove Mold Damage In Your Home
At SERVPRO, we are committed not just to eradicating mold damage, but also to educating homeowners about why it happens. We believe that knowledge is key to preventing new problems from developing in the future, so getting to grips with the basics is important.
You should know that just not in mold damage in Las Vegas homes can be harmful, but also what the physical symptoms are. That way, you can identify sources of trouble quickly and seek the right kind of assistance. We want to stress that, while mold damage can compromise physical health, a calm and measured response is always best.
This guide to some of the potential effects of persistent mold will explain why it needs to be tackled safely, by professional remediation experts.
Why a Speedy Response Is Important
As soon as you suspect that you have mold damage in your home, you need to call the removal experts at SERVPRO. You may not develop any visible symptoms, as a result of contact with an affected area, but it is still important that you steer well clear of it. Mold, particularly in very damp conditions, may cause health effects.
If there are very young or elderly occupants in the house, you are advised to leave after you have arranged for SERVPRO to carry out an inspection. Infants, the elderly, and those with existing medical conditions are at a significantly greater risk of the potentially negative effects of an infestation. At the very least, you need to stay away from the affected room or area to help prevent the spores from spreading. Few mold species are a threat to our health, but be safe and avoid exposure when possible.
Some Common Physical Symptoms
Ordinarily, the physical reactions to mold are either nothing or quite mild but still unpleasant. Once again, this is why remediation should be carried out quickly. Symptoms may develop, but are they from the mold or an allergen in the air? SERVPRO technicians have training in best practices of the IICRC to deal with mold issues, primarily to the structure and contents of a home.
SERVPRO of East Las Vegas is a local company the provides water damage restoration and mold removal. We can arrange a same day inspection according to your schedule. Call us 24/7 at (702) 785-0100.
Las Vegas Residents We provide Expert Water Damage Removal
Water Damage in Kitchen
When Disaster Strikes Be Prepared!
As much as we try, preparing for every eventual hazard is impossible. However, as a homeowner or business owner there are certain steps you may want to take to keep ahead of the damages that water may cause on your property.
Your Homeowner Insurance Coverages
Start by contacting your insurance company and make sure that you have the proper coverage for common issues plaguing your area. We may not be close to the coast, but that does not mean that in Las Vegas water damage issues pose any less of a threat.
There are many issues to deal with after a flood in your home, even one caused by a simple appliance malfunction. SERVPRO technicians are IICRC certified and have many years of experience dealing with these types of disasters, as well as access to the right equipment to help get your property through a pretty rough situation.
Moisture finds its way into drywall and other building materials quickly. Response teams draw it out by placing dehumidifiers and space heaters at points where the moisture levels are at their highest levels. Drywall panels infested with mold are removed and disposed of according to city and state regulations. The surrounding air is dried out as well at the same time. If the overall, inside moisture levels remain high, then the opportunity for mold to expand and grow continues.
Las Vegas Community
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of East Las Vegas is close by and ready to respond to your flood or water damage emergency. We are proud to be an active member of the East Las Vegas community and want to do our part to make our community the best it can be.
We are proud to serve our local community.