Flood Preparation in Las Vegas
Las Vegas Floods
Floods are among the most frequent of natural disasters. Flooding often occurs following a hurricane, monsoons, or several days of sustained rain. Flash floods occur suddenly, due to rapidly rising water along low-lying areas. Learn what to do to keep your loved ones safe!
There's a difference
A flood/flash flood WATCH means a flood or flash flood is possible.
A flood/flash flood WARNING means flooding or flash flooding is already occurring or will occur soon. TAKE IMMEDIATE PRECAUTIONS!
Prepare in advance
With Help from the Red Cross and SERVPRO you can be prepared for whatever happens. Awesome tips by the American Red Cross here.
- Assembling an emergency preparedness kit.
- Creating a household evacuation plan that includes your pets.
- Staying informed about your community’s risk and response plans.
- Educating your family on how to use the Safe and Well website.
Prepare with your Family
- Talk with your family about what to do if a flood watch or warning is issued. Discussing floods ahead of time helps reduce fear, especially for younger children.
- Ensure that every member of your family carries a Safe and Well wallet card.
- Make sure you have access to NOAA radio broadcasts:
- Find out if you are located in a floodplain, which is considered a Special Flood Hazard Area. If so, you are still eligible for flood insurance. Check with your city or county government (start with the Building or Planning Department) to review the Flood Insurance Rate Maps, published by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
- Find out if local streams or rivers flood easily.
- Keep insurance policies, documents, and other valuables in a safe-deposit box. You may need quick, easy access to these documents. Keep them in a safe place less likely to be damaged during a flood. Take pictures on a phone and keep copies of important documents and files on a flashdrive that you can carry with you on your house or car keys.
After a Flood:
- Let friends and family know you’re safe. Register yourself as safe on the Safe and Well website
- If evacuated, return only when authorities say it is safe to do so.
- Continue listening to local news or a NOAA Weather Radio for updated information and instructions.
- Keep children and pets away from hazardous sites and floodwater.
Getting Property Damage Help
We Have the Resources to Handle Storms and Disasters
When a major storm hits, it may overwhelm local restoration companies. SERVPRO of East Las Vegas can scale our resources by accessing the equipment and personnel. We can also access Disaster Recovery Teams that specialize in major storms and catastrophic events.
We're Highly Trained Storm Damage Specialists
We specialize in flooding and storm damage restoration, the cornerstone of our business. We have extensive water damage and storm restoration training that allows us to get your home back to normal quickly.
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technicians
We're Faster to Any Size Disaster
A fast response is crucial to flooding and storm damage, because it reduces secondary damage and restoration costs. Storms don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. Our technicians will respond immediately, day or night, to help East Las Vegas business owners and residents.